Sunday, September 20, 2009

CLARA'S CALL


Name has been changed-----


On the Tuesday following the retreat, I received a phone call from a birth mom that I worked with 18 years ago. I remember her and she remembers me and told me that she had thought of me often throughout the years. (that was a positive thing) What stands out for about this woman was when she said, "I just don't think I can do it", meaning live through placing her child for adoption. I was surprised when she chose to place. And, she did live through it.


She had another support woman in her life and had not kept in touch with me. Now that her daughter that she placed had turned 18 years old, she called me to tell me she was thinking of me and just wondering if I knew anything. I told her about the retreat and how I would love her support in the "work" that we all hope to do. She was so excited. With an email to another office, she will now be trained to do adoption presentations and work with birth mothers in her area. She said, this was her dream come true-------to "give back". Funny, I already thought she had given. I am also thrilled to reconnect to a woman from my past work and to know that she will have much to offer others.


We hope to connect at the upcoming FSA Conference in Portland in November.

No comments:

Post a Comment